From Classic Encyclopedia 1911
NEW, or East KILPATRICK, also called Bearsden, a town of Dumbartonshire, Scotland, 52 m. N.W. of Glasgow by road, with a station on the North British railway company's branch line from Glasgow to Milngavie. Pop. (1901), 2705. The town is largely inhabited by business men from Glasgow. The public buildings include the Shaw convalescent home, Buchanan Retreat, house of refuge for girls, library, and St Peter's College, a fine structure, presented to the Roman Catholic Church in 1892 by the archbishop of Glasgow. There is some coal-mining, and lime is manufactured. Remains of the Wall of Antoninus are close to the town. At Garscube and Garscadden, both within IZ m. of New Kilpatrick, are extensive iron-works, and at the former place coal is mined and stone quarried.